Needle-based Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy:
The Answer is on The Wall
Reduce the number of indeterminate pancreatic cysts using through-the-needle endomicroscopy 7
Clinicians are faced with an epidemic of patients with pancreatic cysts who must be triaged to surveillance or surgery, the goal being to identify the minority of cysts with high malignant potential as early as possible while limiting unnecessary surgery.” Dr. Al-Haddad , MD, Cleveland Clinic, Abu Dhabi, UAE 8
Needle-based Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy (nCLE) with Cellvizio allows you to see the cyst wall at the microscopic level, in real time, for the first time through a high-speed flexible microscope threaded inside a 19-gauge needle during EUS-FNA procedures.
Multiple clinical studies (INSPECT, CONTACT, DETECT) have shown improved diagnostic accuracy of pancreatic cyst characterization with nCLE.
In particular, clear pathognomonic signs of serous cystadenomas and IPMNs have been identified and show very high specificity.
Initial and continuous training programs are available to facilitate integration of needle-based Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy into your fairly practice.
- Thosani N, et al. Role of EUS-FNA-based cytology in the diagnosis of mucinous pancreatic cystic lesions: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Dig Dis Sci 2010.
- Jaïs B, et al. Pancreatic Serous Cystadenoma Related Mortality Is Nil. Results of a Multinational Study Under the Auspices of the International Association of Pancreatology and the European Pancreatic Club. DDW 2014, oral presentation.
- Waxman, et al. First Assessment of Needle-based Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy;( nCLE ) During EUS-FNA Procedures of the Pancreas. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 2011.
- Konda, et al. A pilot study of in vivo identification of pancreatic cystic neoplasms with needle-based confocal laser endomicroscopy under endosonographic guidance. Endoscopy, 2013.
- Nakai Y, et al. Diagnosis of Pancreatic Cysts: Endoscopic Ultrasound, Through-the-Needle Confocal Laser- Induced Endomicroscopy and Cystoscopy Trial (DETECT Study). Oral presentation at the American College of Gastroenterology congress, 2012.
- Samarasena J.B, et al. Endoscopic Ultrasonography Guided fine Needle Aspiration of Pancreatic Cystic Lesions : A practical Approach to diagnosis and Management Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Clinics of North America 2012.
- Napoléon B., et al. A novel approach to the diagnosis of pancreatic serous cystadenoma: needle-based confocal laser endomicroscopy. Endoscopy, 2014 Endoscopy; Issue 01, 2015.
- Al-Haddad et al. Integrated molecular pathology accurately determines the malignant potential of pancreatic cysts. Endoscopy 2014.