Inflammatory Bowel Diseases
A tailored approach to patient management based on an assessment at the mucosal level
Mucosal healing has been proposed as a new approach for the management of Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, using surrogate markers of the disease activity and response to treatment. Recent findings have shown that it is only at the mucosa level that one identifies the true state of the disease and predicts its evolution. Endomicroscopy allows physicians to view tissues at the cellular-level, in real-time , and this may help identify IBD patients and guide recommendations adapted to treatment protocols. 1
Have you even seen the activity of the disease live?
Cellvizio Optical Biopsy is a through-the-scope procedure that fits any standard practice and equipment.
Helmut Neumann, MD
Universitätsklinikum Erlangen, Germany 10
- Hundorfean G. et al. Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy Provides Potential Differentiation Criteria Between Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis. Inflammatory Bowel Disease, 2012.
- Rispo A. et al. Diagnostic accuracy of Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy in Diagnosing Dysplasia in Patients Affected by Long-Standing Ulcerative Colitis. World Journal of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 2012.
- Liu J. et al. Increased Epithelial Gaps in the Small Intestines of Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Density Matters. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 2011.
- Neumann H. et al. Assessment of Crohn’s Disease Activity by Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy . Inflammatory Bowel Disease, 2012.
- Kiesslich R. et al. Local Barrier Dysfunction Identified by Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy Predicts Elapse in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Gut, 2012.
- Turcotte J.F. et al. Increased Epithelial Gaps in the Small Intestine Are Predictive of Hospitalization and Surgery in Patients With Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Clinical and Translational Gastroenterology , 2012.
- Kiesslich R. et al. Chromoscopy-Guided Endomicroscopy Increases the Diagnostic Yield of Intraepithelial Neoplasia in Ulcerative Colitis. Gastroenterology, 2007.
- De Palma G.D. In-vivo Characterization of DALM in Ulcerative Colitis with High-Resolution Probe-based Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 2011.
- Wallace M.B. et al. Miami classification for probe based endomicroscopy. Endoscopy, 2011.
- Neumann H. Prospective Evaluation of the Learning Curve of Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy in Patients with IBD. Histology and Histopathology, 2011.
- Pr. Yan Qing Li, Qilu hospital, Jinan, Shandong, China