Cellvizio facilitates the surveillance and treatment of Barrett’s Esophagus
Barrett's Esophagus is a primary risk factor for developing esophageal cancer. With the help of endomicroscopy , physicians can view microscopic images of tissue instantaneously, in a minimally-invasive manner, during standard endoscopies. This may aid in detecting more dysplastic lesions 1 2 in Barrett’s Esophagus with fewer biopsies , and orient immediate endoscopic therapy. 3 4
Simple image recognition allows to differentiate between benign mucosa from pre-malignant changes and cancer.
Cellvizio Optical Biopsy is a through-the-scope procedure that fits any standard practice and equipment.
Prateek Sharma, MD
University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, MO, USA 1
- Sharma P. et al. Real-time Increased Detection of Neoplastic Tissue in Barrett’s Esophagus with probe- based Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy: Final Results of a Multi-center Prospective International Randomized Controlled Trial. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 2011.
- Bertani H. et al. Improved. Detection of Incident Dysplasia by Probe-Based Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy in a Barrett’s Esophagus Surveillance Program.
Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 2013.
- Konda V.J. et al. Confocal laser endomicroscopy: potential in the management of Barrett’s esophagus. Diseases of the Esophagus, 2010.
- Johnson E.A. et al. Probe-Based Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy to Guide Real-Time Endoscopic Therapy in Barrett’s Esophagus with Dysplasia. Case Reports in Gastroenterology, 2012.
- The DONT BIOPCE clinical trial, GE, 2011